Sunday, June 28, 2015

Beware of buying on the internet

      A few weeks ago I had a student who wanted to get custom fit for a new Ping G30 driver. After the fitting he said he would let me know about ordering it. A week later he came to the shop asking if I could sell him an adjustment tool for Ping woods. I asked him why and he said he got a great deal online for a brand new G30 driver, 3 & 5 wood. He said he paid less than half the regular price.
     I asked him if I could look at them so he brought them in for my inspection. A minute later my suspicions were confirmed. All three clubs were counterfeit. At first he wasn't convinced so I called Ping and read off the serial numbers. Ping confirmed they were counterfeit.

    Not only is he out a lot of money but the clubs are worthless - the heads are made of pot metal and the shafts are closer to a ladies flex. Unfortunately this is not the first time I have had to give this bad news to customers. There are thousands of counterfeit clubs brought into the U.S. everyday. 60 Minutes, the CBS news show did a piece on the problem a few months ago.

    Be careful when buying from the internet. My rule of thumb is "If it sounds too good to be true, it almost always is."

No comments:

Post a Comment