Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Why Bigger isn't always Better

          I have been in the golf business since 1987. I worked in industrial sales for 8 years prior to that. If my math is correct that adds up to 37 years experience working directly with customers.
        I opened Golf Rx nearly 6 years ago and have been fortunate as my customer base has grown each year. In the past year customers have asked, "When are you going to move to a larger building?", " When are you going to open another location?", "Have you thought of franchising?".
        Those questions are the very reason I opened Golf Rx. Having worked for a big box retail store for five years I saw first hand what happens when you grow too fast. The bottom line comes before customer service. Experienced and knowledgeable employees are no longer on staff. It is almost impossible to talk to a real human being when you call with a problem.  
          I saw a growing sense of frustration from golfers wanting professional, knowledgeable and personal service. When customers call Golf Rx they talk with me - the owner. When they visit the store they talk eye to eye with me - the owner. If they have a problem with their game, want new equipment, or need a club re-shafted they deal with me - the owner.
         To me, this is the advantage locally owned businesses have over the big box retailers and franchises. I'm not saying at some point I may not move to a larger location, but one thing won't change. I will still be the one answering the phone and greeting my customers. 



No comments:

Post a Comment